Top 40 OpenSource games that can be downloaded for free and played on Windows, Linux and Mac
In order to avoid being taken for technological racist and to do par condicio, below I have compiled a list for the 30 free downloads (at the moment) free and open-source games that can be downloaded and installed both on Linux PCs, both on Mac and on Windows.
The list of games is sorted in alphabetical order with a description of the game to understand on the fly what it is and whether it may be of interest or not.
READ ALSO: Best free PC games
1) Battle for Wesnoth is one of the most popular fantasies, open-source, strategy games.
There are many things to do in this game and the games last a long time: there are many missions to perform, great game maps, multiplayer and online modes to grow when you get tired of playing alone. The view is from above and is graphically very clear, without excesses.
2) Bos Wars is a real-time war strategy game where combat teams are led and to beat the enemy you need to be clever and intuitive generals.
3) BRAIN OUT is a 2D multiplayer shooter, with powerful weapons of all types to use to defeat enemies. Even if you don’t like 2D games, it’s definitely worth a try. BRAIN OUT is easily one of the best free Linux games around.
4) Crack Attack is similar to Bejeweled or Biotronic or to any of the other games where you click to remove blocks of bricks.
5) Cube2: Sauerbraten is a great FPS or first-person, open source shooter.
In another article, there are open-source first-person 3D games for Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs
6) Dota 2 is played by millions of players, with a wide selection of heroes, abilities, and weapons, where you win or lose only based on your abilities. Starting a game so popular as a new player from scratch may require you to read guides to become competitive immediately.
Dota 2 is certainly among the best RTS strategy games for PC free
7) Eat The Whistle is one of those games that must not be missed on any computer, either Linux or Windows or Mac. A two-dimensional soccer video game with horizontal scrolling that brings the minds to the fantastic Sensible soccer. You can do the World Cup, the championship and you can manage your career during the game and the various games.
8) FreeCiv is another of those free games that have nothing to envy to those with a fee. It is practically a Sid Meier’s Civilization, free and online where you need to develop a civilization, build cities, expand the boundaries of your state, treat diplomacy with other peoples and fight them in continuous and strategic wars. The multiplayer mode also allows a game between 30 players. Free Civ is also translated into Italian.
9) FreeDroid is a modern futuristic RPG with plenty of robots, weapons of all types and a wide range of magic attacks. You can also take control of enemies and use them against each other.
10) Frets on Fire a classic among music games, similar to Guitar Hero, you play rock guitar using the computer keyboard and following the key combination that scrolls on the screen.
11) Glest is a battle to be managed on the playing field using dragons, magic, technology, knights and soldiers. The graphics are three-quarters in 3D and very well done.
12) Globulation 2 is a war management system that I personally find a bit poor graphically, but which, for lovers of the genre, remains one of the best free games.
13) Hedgewars, Wormux, and Worms clones are turn-based games similar to Worms with cartoon graphics and fun challenges.
14) LinCity is one of the best Sim City clones.
The city mayor has to think of everything, build infrastructure, develop buildings, build roads, schools, hospitals, police stations, avoid pollution, give jobs to citizens, build their homes, aqueducts and light poles. In short, a complete city simulation of everything.
15) M.A.R.S. is an Asteroids style game, where the spaceship moves in the center and rotates by shooting at the stones that are divided into smaller and smaller pieces
16) Marble Madness free for Windows Mac and Linux PCs you can play in two high-quality versions: Neverball and Marble Arena 2. You must use the mouse to tilt the playing surface and maneuver a ball, without dropping it and until you reach the goal.
17) No More Room in Hell is a 3D zombie shooter game, very nice, first-person, fun like Left 4 Dead, for Linux, Windows, and Mac.
18) OpenRA is an RTS (Real-Time Strategy) clone of Command & Conquer: Red Alert created by the fans and in continuous improvement with support for replays, the capture of civil structures, fog and the possibility of streaming online.
19) OpenTTD is one of the best open-source games in the simulation and city transport management genre.
Compared to the past versions, this game has an improved user interface, local multiplayer and on the Internet, up to a maximum of 255 players. Furthermore, the game has been visually enhanced with elegant graphics, larger maps, new features, and greater complexity.
20) Phun had already been seen in these pages as the best example of physics applied to a video game. No specific purpose, only realistic effects, and an editor to design scenarios and natural phenomena.
21) Robocraft is a shooter of customizable multiplayer robots, fighting with other players online, very fluid, fast and with a futuristic setting.
22) Scourge is a kind of Dungeons and Dragons where the abilities of the character are developed and enemies are fought strategically with luck intelligence and experience.
23) Scorched 3D – A remake of the Worms-type turn-based games where the opponent is shot trying to hit him, setting the trajectory of the shot to do as much damage as possible.
24) Smokin ‘Guns set in the old West is a shooter where the duels with the gun and the dust of the desert are the protagonists of the scene.
25) Star Conflict is a space combat MMO where you play as elite space pilots, spaceship shooters, with PVP and PVE missions and missions, single-player campaigns and multiplayer, over 100 types of spacecraft, various tactical roles and so on.
26) Super TuxKart is one of the best games similar to Mario Kart, with different running modes, from the normal standard to time trial and Egg hunt and soccer game mode.
27) Team Fortress 2 is a free-to-play multiplayer first-person shooter for Windows, Linux, and Mac, with lots of fun, easy to start and real MMO action.
28) VDrift, Project Torque, ManiaDrive, and other machine games are listed and described on another page and are free and to be played online for lovers of motors and fast and furious style racing. The machines run and tire in very good and fast 3D graphics.
29) Vega Strike is a strategic game where you have to explore space, build a star empire and spaceships to fight aliens and enemies.
30) Wakfu is an MMORPG (online multiplayer role-playing game) where you can live a life of your own, very funny both in the game and in the graphics.
31) Warsow is what you would say, a crazy cool. A fast and frenetic pace of play where you don’t stop for a moment and where the character never stays still.
32) Warzone 2100 is a total war game set in a 3D scene in the future with lots of destructive weapons and many soldiers to send to certain death. Multiplayer mode supports up to eight players.
33) Widelands resembles an old game called The Settlers.
A great empire must be created and the people must be developed to make it strong and ambitious.
34) Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is one of these pure adrenaline games, in the first person where you see only the barrel of the gun in front of you. The target? Kill everything that moves and appears in front of the eyes without making exceptions and without getting hit.
35) Yo Frankie! has been treated in another post and is one of the best free and open-source platform games there is. Beautiful fantasy graphics, suitable for children of all ages.
36) 0 A.D. is a game similar to Civilization and, above all, to Age Of Empires. We must, therefore, develop people, make it evolve, build structures and avoid being conquered by an enemy nation.
37-40) Neuiz / Tremulous / Urban Terror / OpenArena / Alien Arena are five additional great choices to add to your own free first-person shooter game collection. Really beautiful graphically, fast and fun to let off steam at any computer, be it Linux, Mac or Windows.
READ ALSO: download the old games, those of arcades, those for pc dos of the 80s and 90s