Best free applications for painting, drawing and painting on Android and iPhone / iPad
It is therefore worth discovering the best drawing applications for tablets and smartphoneslooking for only the free ones that have all the features required by a painting software and that, above all, are simple to use even for the less experienced.
READ ALSO: Write or draw with finger or stylus on the screen: app for iPad, iPhone, Android
L’app Sketchbookmade by Autodesk (the same company as AutoCAD) for Android and for iPhone/iPadis cited by many users as the best drawing app on iPad (with Apple Pencil) and any 10-inch Android tablet.
With this app we will have access to the 1, 2 and 3 point perspective guides, we can use the curved ruler and take advantage of many digital tools designed for drawing professionals within a minimalist and effective interface, with infinite brushes and levels on any type of design.
2) Adobe Fresco (iOS and iPadOS)
Another valid app for painting and drawing on iPad and iPhone is adobe freshavailable exclusively fromApple App Store.
Adobe Fresco is a free drawing and painting app designed to be used by everyone, from beginners to professional painters. The app is optimized to work with Apple Pencil and offers a variety of brushes to help you create your next masterpiece, such as live brushes (watercolors and oils), pixel brushes, advanced Photoshop brushes (which imitate graphite, pastel and other types of drawing tools), and vector brushes (to create sharp lines for drawings).
3) Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator is the free to use app for professional vector graphics designers iPad (we can’t download it to iPhone).
With Adobe Illustrator we can customize the brushes to use and draw using circles, squares, polygons and clouds for comics, applying the fonts supported by Adobe (for advertising graphics and writing) and also using the models available on Adobe to make the our design.
There is also an Android app called Adobe Illustrator Draw but it is profoundly different and much simpler than the version developed for the iPad.
4) Bamboo Paper
An app that should not be missing on a tablet dedicated to drawing is Bamboo Paperavailable from Google Play Store (smartphones and tablets) and fromApple App Store (only on iPad).
The app makes ease of use its best weapon: in fact, we have a blank sheet where to draw, with all the main tools at the top. The app can be used both with the fingertips and with the nibs (including the Apple Pencil), which add greater precision to the stroke and the application of colors and effects.
5) Affinity Designer 2 (iPad)
The most professional app that we can use for painting and drawing is Affinity Designer 2available exclusively for iPad.
With this app, create spectacular images but also logos, icons, prints, typographic projects, concept art and much more using the tools positioned along the edges of the screen, all designed to facilitate the creation of the drawing and to paint effectively.
The app is paid but can be tried for free for 30 days: given the quality of the product, it is absolutely worth trying the free version and, if we draw at a professional level, buying the license without a subscription (you pay once and is always valid).
6) More apps for painting and drawing
1) Photoshop Expressfor free by Android e iPhone, is the best application for drawing on the screen of your smartphone or tablet. One can draw using pencils, pens, highlighters, erasers, acrylic paints, brushes, crayons, watercolor brushes to create illustrations and paintings, with an infinite variety. This is the ideal application for professional designers and even simple enthusiasts.
2) Infinite Painter (per Android and for iPhone / iPad ) is a full-featured painting program, with a well-designed user interface to make your work easier. The relevant buttons are all lined up in a narrow strip along the bottom of the screen. Choosing a brush and color is easy, and there’s even a button to access more complex features, like transparency and distortion. The app also implements multi-touch gestures for turning and zooming the drawing. Even if not all options are available in the free version, they are more than enough to work on a drawing without finding limitations.
3) How to Draw – Art Lessons per Android is a nice collection of tutorials to learn how to draw from your tablet or smartphone, with lots of free lessons.
Alternatively it is also excellent How to Drawalways free and always for Android.
4) Tayasui Sketches per Android e iPhone / iPad is a drawing app awarded in 2020 for its ability to simplify the painting controls on the phone or tablet screen making it very realistic and making it look like drawing on a canvas.
5) Dotpictper Android and for iPhone e iPad is the app for drawing in Pixel Art, thus creating figures and scenarios with the squares typical of 8-bit games of some time ago.
Easy and fun to use, this is an app for everyone.
6) ArtFlow only for Android it has all the tools to draw freely using the screen as if it were a piece of paper. There are seventy brushes, color adjustments and it supports saving high resolution images.
7) Ibis Paint Xare Android come on iPhone e iPad is a painting app with lots of fun features, over 140 different brushes, including marker pens, real brushes, and more, layer support, and features for specific types of drawing, like manga.
8) Infinite Painter per Android is a great app for drawing on tablets and smartphones in a free way to create real painting artworks. You can paint with relative ease and there is full support for layers and filters.
9) Draw Something is that famous game where you have to guess what you are drawing, one of the most popular for iPhone e Androidfree, which is also played online.
10) Medibang Paintare Android come on iPhone e iPad is one of the best free hand drawing apps. Its best feature is that you can draw from the PC or Mac app and continue on your iPhone or Android mobile phone without losing anything. There’s quite a number of brushes, tools for both free drawing and comics, and other fun little tools and add-ons.
11) Paper by FiftyThree (iPhone and iPad only) is an excellent free app for drawing on the screen, very simple, complete and that doesn’t require you to unlock features by paying.
12) PaperColorare Android is one of those drawing apps that tries to emulate real drawing as much as possible. What makes it different is its tracking feature, the ability to import a photo and set it to translucent mode in order to trace it.
13) ibis Paint X per Android e iPhone / iPad allows you to create drawings and paint on the smartphone screen, in a simple way and with the tools all collected in the menu. The options allow you to select the colors, the brushes and the stroke, you can choose the intensity, add shades, transformations, filters, levels.
14) Drawing Desk per Android e iPhone / iPad is one of the best drawing apps for making kids drawings, sketches, doodles or paints, depending on your options. The app works as both a drawing app and a painting app. It works in landscape orientation and is easy to use.
15) MediBang Paintper Android e iPhone, is one of the best free drawing apps, which is also available for Mac and Windows. All versions have a cloud save feature that allows you to start and continue work on either your phone or PC. The app offers a decent number of brushes, tools for both drawing and comics, and a variety of other add-ons.
16) Clip Studio Paintfor free by Android e iPhonehas many features for all artists, from drawing with multiple brushes to 3D models, with a huge library of freely usable materials.
There is no shortage of apps for drawing on tablets or phones certainly but, if we want to obtain the maximum quality in the drawing, we advise you to use only a tablet and a stylus, possibly focusing immediately on a iPad and theApple Pencilseen that often many professional drawing apps are optimized to work well only with Apple products.
In another article we have seen the best web applications for drawing on PC and Tabletavailable via browser.