Choosing an audio editing solution would be quite difficult, given the different capabilities that each tool possesses and given the costs of some professional programs.
So let’s find out the best audio editing software, each suited to unique purposes, which are free. In this list of best free programs to edit audio files which can be recordings or musical trackshighlighting the main features of each of them, allowing us to get the right tool for your particular use.
READ ALSO: Mix microphone audio with PC sounds and music
The main program that everyone should have installed on their computer for editing songs and recordings is Audacity.
Con Audacity, free and open source for Windows and Macit’s possible process any audio file, see its wave structure, and then perform editing operations such as trimming or removing noise or noise. Its operation is greatly simplified by the interface which can be easily used with the mouse, selecting the parts to be modified or cut and applying the desired filter or effect.
On the application we find options for change the pitch and speed playing music, fading effects audio, accessories for clean a recording of noise, bass enhancements and much more. Obviously it’s a program that can be thoroughly understood by those familiar with audio technical jargon but it’s also great for making simple edits.
Audacity is also useful for recording audio from a microphone or other sources which can be connected to the computer’s sound card. If you have the right tools, it can even handle recording 16 channels at once.
On this program we can read our guides on how record music from LP record or cassetteon how remove vocals from a songon how cut, split and merge mp3 music, audio and music tracks and how Transcribe an audio recording under dictation.
2) Z Mobile : Music Editor
If we are looking for an easier program to edit or cut audio songs we can download Z Mobile : Music Editoravailable directly from Microsoft Store.
By opening this app we can take advantage of various functions to manage any song: we can cut audio, merge audio files, create Audio Mixer, extract only fragments of audio, convert between various audio formats and many other easy-to-use tools.
Another valid program for editing free music on PC and editing recordings is Ocenaudioavailable for free.
Ocenaudio is an easy-to-use audio editor designed to edit and analyze audio files whatever the user’s level of preparation.
In fact, Ocenaudio allows you to cut, merge, extract audio, convert between various audio formats and increase the volume of slightly quiet songs, thus providing everything necessary for those who want a simple audio editing tool without too many frills. The application supports the editing of MP3, WAV, VOX, GSM, WMA, OGG and AAC audio files, i.e. all the main formats available today for technological devices (PC and mobile).
WavePad, from NCH Software, is a simpler audio editing program, an intuitive yet professional solution. You can use the tool for creating a music mix by mixing different tracks and create professional music through recording and various advanced and standard features. WavePad offers support for almost all popular audio formats, such as MP3, WAV, VOX, GSM, WMA, OGG, AAC, etc.
For example, WavePad offers functions such as copying audio parts, inserting effects of one piece of music into another, trimming, and many effects.
With WavePad you can also have fun edit music and songs thanks to a Sound Library that is, a collection of sound effects, jingles and samples of music that can be freely downloaded in a click or two and used to enhance a recording. The program is free to download, although the free version has some limitations compared to the full paid version.
Linux MultiMedia Studionow known as LMMS, is an audio editor software for Windows too, which can be a superb alternative for FL Studio (paid) or Adobe Audition, completely free. LMMS offers a huge number of great features overall, including FX Mixer, Automation Editor, MIDI keyboard support, some built-in audio effects and tools, and compatibility with some standards in digital music production and editing.
The user interface of LMMS is truly professional and the availability of plugins can bring more productivity. LMMS is definitely one of the best free programs for mixing music on PC like a DJ.
Other programs for editing music on PC
1) Wave Editorfree, is a simple program for editing audio files with wave view, useful for cutting and joining parts, applying effects and filters, removing vocals, editing music to create ringtones and other simple operations.
2) WaveShop is a fantastic and easy-to-use free and open source audio editor for Windows, also portable and without installation. This software allows you to import an audio file in a supported format (MP3, OGG, MPC, WAV, AIFF, AAC and some others) and then edit it using the timeline which makes it easy to remove a particular part from the audio file or merge multiple tracks into one . In addition to normal audio editing, there are effects and tools that allow you to amplify the sound, use fading, normalize the volume and then also use additional plugins with audio filters.
2) FLStudio is a giant in the panorama of audio editors, a professional program, perfect for music professionals. This tool is a music production environment that packs all the features you need to compose, arrange, record, edit, mix and master professional-quality music. You can notice the complexity of this tool from the moment it is first opened, with all the features neatly grouped into categories and the bottom looking like a professional artist’s studio.
3) Ardour is a digital audio workstation that allows you to record, edit and mix tracks, using an interface that can be professional and easy to use at the same time, to record, edit and mix audio even from external sources. Ardor can be useful for sound engineers, musicians, soundtrack composers and electronic music.
4) Wavosaur it is a completely free program, a little different from the others. It is in fact a small one portable program consisting of a single executable measuring 560 KB. Due to such lightness it is not surprising that Wavosaur’s interface is very spartan and the buttons are small. The applicable effects are the simplest ones and most commonly requested by non-professional users who need a basic audio editor but it is among the simplest programs to cut, split and join mp3 music, audio and music tracks.
5) Hya Wave Web App, is a web application, to edit an audio track on the fly or cut music without having to download a program. This site doesn’t even require you to register an account, it’s all free and you just need to upload an audio file to the page to see it divided into waves and work on it.
Paid music apps
If we want to use professional programs for editing music (such as those used by DJs and musicians), below i best paid professional software per l’editing Audio:
- Adobe Audition, available with Adobe Creative Cloud subscription but we can also try it for free for a short period of time. This is the program most used by professionals.
- SoundForgemade by Magix and very famous among DJs, available for 60 Euros.
- Steinberg Cubasefrom 100 Euros.
- PreSonus Studio Onefrom 85 Dollars.
- Lexis Audio Editor , app per Windows da 7€.
Obviously it is better to buy these programs only if we work with music, not to modify a few files every now and then.
Per edit free music on PC and edit recordings we can use many free programs, all excellent alternatives to paid programs (in particular Audacity). There are simpler programs and more complex programs, dedicated to advanced users.
In another article we can find i free music making programs (Windows and Mac). If we want to edit audio files on Android we recommend you read the guide above how to cut and edit audio on android.