In the guide that follows we will show you the best free programs to create new images on your computer perhaps helping us with one graphic tablet suitable for drawing.
READ ALSO: Best free Photoshop alternative graphics programs
1) Adobe Illustrator
The best program for drawing and creating professional images on PC is without a shadow of a doubt Adobe Illustrator a commercial program that we can try for free for 30 days.
Adobe Illustrator is the reference point for designers and illustrators, who have made it an indispensable program to work.
Illustrator allows you to manage multimedia graphics at an advanced level, with the possibility of using both vector graphics and freehand drawing in order to create your own design. The program is suitable for high-quality printing, thanks to the support for direct export via a plotter.
As mentioned at the beginning this program is commercial and the user license is available in monthly or annual subscription but we can try it without limit for 30 days so as to realize its functionality and only later decide whether to purchase a license.
The best free Illustrator alternative for drawing and creating images on PC for free is Inkscapean open source program that can be used without time limits.
The program has a large number of tools and filters that Illustrator will not regret (even if the latter is still a very advanced program), also thanks to the possibility of drawing using vector graphics (to be combined with freehand drawing).
At the end of the work, we can export the drawing in common formats compatible with Adobe products or to other graphics programs, so you can start the printing or sharing process.
Fell is an open-source PC drawing program for freehand drawing on the computer.
It is a lightweight but comprehensive program for creating digital art, with tools also used by professional artists.
On Krita, we find many types of brushes and tools for drawing, coloring images by spreading colors, and applying many effects (such as the splatter and dripping effect and other effects to apply spray and paint to drawings).
Krita is by far the most complete free software in this category and also an excellent alternative to Illustrator: on the other hand, it must be said that its use for beginners is not easy and we recommend it moreover to professional artists.
If we are looking for a simple and immediate program to draw we can always use GIMP a program born as an alternative to Photoshop but able to provide tools and brushes for freehand drawing.
GIMP provides basic tools for drawing, allows you to change the size of the stroke and the tool used to draw (pencil, brush, or paint), supports all image formats (even vector images, very popular in professional drawing), and also offers some very nice effects, to apply on any design.
Obviously, it’s not as complete as Krita or Inkscape but it can be a good alternative for those looking for a simple and immediate program for drawing and creating images on the PC, being much more accessible and easier to learn even for users who are new to drawing.
5) Clip Studio Paint
Among the best programs for drawing that we can download on PC, we find Clip Studio Paint which immediately presents itself as an excellent alternative to the professional programs seen so far.
Clip Studio Paint immediately presents itself with a professional interface, where you can choose one of the countless tools to start drawing right away. The program offers a high level of customization for each tool (for example we can change the stroke and intensity of the brush or pencil), with an absolute level of precision whatever the method used to draw (tablet or mouse).
The program is so comprehensive that it is often used to make manga comics: knowing the great need of these designers it is easy to imagine that Clip Studio Paint is an excellent program to be able to create any type of drawing.
The program is available as a free trial for 6 months after which it is necessary to purchase a user license in order to continue drawing.
Other programs for drawing
If the programs seen so far are not enough to express our creative art, below we have collected, in a handy list, all the valid alternatives to drawing freely on the PC.
- Fresh Paint is a free Microsoft application for Windows 10 that makes it really easy to draw on your computer using the mouse with ease. In practice, it is the evolution of the old Microsoft Paint, to draw with watercolors, pencils, and many types of brushes. The app is also good for children, to color drawings and express their creativity to the maximum without technical complications.
- Paint 3Dalso from Microsoft, is a great beginner’s app with an easy-to-understand user interface that allows anyone to create 2D and 3D models of objects and shapes.
- Microsoft Whiteboarddescribed in another article as a free multimedia interactive whiteboard (IWB) app to use at home or at school to draw freehand even in a shared way.
- Twisted Brush it is the structure of the programs described here, not beautiful but easy to use, with all the editing options grouped together. The free version of the program has some limitations, including the choice of only 11 types of brushes. Beyond the basic functions, Twisted Brush has a lot of minor options to discover in its interface, for advanced users.
- Artweaver is a complete painting tool that includes a full set of brushes for creative painting or just for experimenting. The software is perfect for both beginners and advanced users. Artweaver also allows you to collaborate with other artists on the Internet and supports many layers, tools, and filters to create new images on PC.
- AutoDesk Sketchbook, free for Windows PC and Mac, is one of the best drawing programs to create images ideal for those who work as a designer, illustrators,s or image animators. The best feature of Sketchbook is its minimalist user interface that disappears during creation, which is also easy to use. The features are very advanced and rich, with over 140 brushes for designers, support for unlimited layers, blending modes, a grouping of layers, support for rulers and guides, custom perspective guides, predictive stroke, and much more to help you in the creation.
- MyPaint as a program for drawing on pc is a tiny 8MB program, with a clean and minimalist interface, perfect for drawing on a computer. Briefly, it is enough to know that it is the fastest program to use, not really simple because the menus are a bit hidden, but still good for everyone.
- Speedy Painter is a fairly simple and basic program, but completely free and very good for drawing even in a professional way. The software interface is also optimized to work with touch screens.
- TuxPaint is the best drawing program for kids, and the easiest to use on a PC.
- FireAlpaca is one of the lighter, free, simplified drawing programs, but it works well as a tool for beginners and for those with an older or cheaper PC.
- Medibang Paint is a great free drawing program for manga and comic creators, with over 800 backgrounds over 50 brushes, and 20 fonts. It is a simple and powerful tool for people who are just starting to draw Japanese comics and want a tool that can help them learn and improve.
- Particle Art is a great program for creating abstract designs and fantastic images.
We immediately install the programs we prefer and start drawing for free without limits.
There is no shortage of programs for drawing on PC: we have commercial programs (very complete and professional) available for a free trial, flanked by totally free and open source programs that will not make you regret the paid programs.
To learn more we can read our guides on sites where you can paint online, color and draw freehand and you have programs for drawing in 3D, graphics, and three-dimensional animations.