After the death of netbooks, a new category of products has taken hold to replace them: a tablet with keyboard also called convertible PCs or 2 in 1 tablet. These tablets can become identical to netbooks thanks to the addition of a keyboard to the body, connected both via connectors and via Bluetooth. In this guide, we will see together the best tablet models with a removable keyboard that we can find on the Internet, so as to always save something compared to buying in a store or a mall.
To make an informed choice we will also show you the features that a 2 in 1 tablet PC must possess in order to be able to evaluate the purchase, so as to never make mistakes even if we decide to bet on a model for sale in a shop (we will know exactly what to look for).
Best tablet PC with the removable keyboard to buy
Before seeing together the tablet models with a keyboard that we can buy, it’s a good idea to take a look at the technical features of these devices, to avoid finding a slow tablet with an uncomfortable keyboard in your hands.
If we want to buy a 2-in-1 tablet with keyboard, we need to consider the following features:
- Processor: on these devices, Intel processors are essential to get the most out of program execution. On 2-in-1 high-end tablets, we often find processors dedicated to laptops like the Inter Core i5, identical to those found on normal notebooks.
- RAM: the minimum to run Windows 10 is 2 GB, but we recommend to focus immediately on models with 4 or 8 GB of RAM. Having all this memory is certainly an added value, as we can open multiple programs at the same time.
- Internal memory: between programs and updates Windows 10 tends to quickly finish all the internal memory space even if you use it little. If we have to choose a model in which to save even some files or documents we choose if possible models with 64 GB or more of usable memory. If we don’t want to spend too much 32 GB are enough, but we advise you to join us a good cloud service to save data online and not in internal memory. The high-end tablets have classic SSDs and M.2 SSDs, so as to offer the same capacity as a classic notebook.
- Screen: the standard is 10.1 inches, a measure suitable for the use that can be made of a tablet with a convertible keyboard. We avoid smaller screens of this size, but if the screen is larger than this value it is not a problem.
- Ports: 2 in 1 tablet must have at least one USB port (better if two), a MicroSD slot and a 3.5 mm headphone jack output. The presence of other ports (such as micro-HDMI to connect the tablet to a monitor or a TV) are added values that should not be underestimated.
- Connectivity: a tablet with a keyboard must integrate Bluetooth and WiFi so you can connect to any network and connect any wireless device such as wireless headphones, Bluetooth speakers, etc. The integrated microphone must not be missing so that it can communicate during a video chat.
- Cameras: the convertible tablet must have the front camera, so you can take advantage of video chat programs like Skype. Some models also have a rear camera on the tablet, which can be used to take photographs on the fly (quality still tends to be low so it is not a key feature).
- Battery: it must be adequate to reach at least 4-5 hours with Windows 10. On the most expensive models of 2-in-1 tablets, the keyboard has a separate battery, so as to increase the total autonomy of the combined system.
- Operating system: Windows 10 has become the most popular system even on 2-in-1 tablets, thanks to the tablet mode that makes it easy to use on touch screens. It is not uncommon to find devices with dual boot Android with Windows 10, so you can take advantage of the apps and programs of both operating systems.
- Keyboard and accessories: the keyboard must be comfortable to use, with sufficiently spaced keys. Don’t expect the same comfort as a keyboard from a notebook or PC! The keyboard can connect with its specific connectors or via Bluetooth to the system, but let’s make sure that the support hooks hold up well the tablet part of the device or we could run into the tablet or keyboard in disastrous falls. On high-end models, there is no shortage of accessories such as nibs and cases for mobile use.
Best tablet with a keyboard that comes off
Now let’s see together the best models we can buy on Amazon, the best site where we can find heavy discounts and unparalleled after-sales assistance.
CHUWI Hi10 Air
The cheapest tablet model that we can consider is the CHUWI Hi10 Air, which has a 10.1 inch IPS FullHD screen, Quad-Core Intel Cherry Trail-T3 Z8350 processor, 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB of internal memory, Bluetooth, USB OTG support, HDMI port, and Windows 10 operating system.
We can view this tablet with a keyboard from here -> CHUWI Hi10 Air (250 €).
Asus Transformer Book
Another convertible that we can use together with the keyboard is the Asus Transformer Book, which features a 10.1 inch IPS screen, a 180-degree tilting tablet holder hinge, an Intel Atom Quad-Core processor, 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB of internal memory, Bluetooth, USB OTG support and a Windows 10 operating system.
We can view this tablet with a keyboard from here -> Asus Transformer Book (250 €).
Acer One 10 S
One of the best keyboard tablets we can buy is the Acer One 10 S, which features a 10.1 “Multi-touch WXGA display, Intel Atom x5-Z8300 processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB internal memory, webcam, ergonomic keyboard and Windows 10.
We can view this tablet with a keyboard from here -> Acer One 10 S (€ 315).
An excellent tablet PC with a removable light keyboard is this from Teclast, an unknown brand that still sells a respectable product at a competitive price that currently stands at 390 euros. This tablet-laptop has an 11.6-inch screen, 8G RAM, 256G SSD, Intel N4100 processor, Windows 10 and USB-C connection.
We can buy this ultra-light and surface-friendly tablet PC from Microsoft on Amazon
You can also choose the PC version with a 360-degree screen to become a tablet with the TECLAST F5R
Lenovo MIIX 320
Among the medium-high end products, we also find the Lenovo MIIX 320, which provides excellent performance thanks to the 10.1 inches Full HD IPS Touch Display, Intel Atom X5 processor, 128 GB of internal memory, 4GB RAM and Windows 10 operating system.
We can view this tablet with a keyboard from here -> Lenovo MIIX 320 (€ 449).
Microsoft Surface Go
The top of the range among the tablet with keyboard is without a doubt the Surface Go (of which we wrote a review), equipped with a latest-generation Pentium processor, 8 GB of RAM, a 128 GB SSD, keyboard with additional battery (up to 9 hours of battery life) and Windows Hello system for access without password with face recognition, available thanks to the 5MP front camera with 1080p video resolution.
If we want the best from a tablet with a keyboard, we can view this model from here -> Microsoft Surface Go (€ 578).
For many the tablet market is dead as the best-selling is always the iPad but, as we have seen in this guide, we can bet on top-quality 2-in-1 tablets without spending the figures proposed by Apple, so as to have a mini PC handyman, lightweight and powerful enough to run simple writing and work programs without having to carry a heavier notebook or having to stick to your desk for fixed PCs.
In our Guide to buying a new tablet, we can find other valid suggestions to choose a new tablet, with or without a keyboard.
Always on the subject, we can view the article The best Windows 10 tablets that can be converted into PCs, which appear as models very similar to those already seen above.
Are we looking for a more powerful but very light notebook? In this case, we advise you to read our guide How to choose the new Notebook.