For unfamiliar users of Apple products, choosing a new iPad could be difficult, as there are various models available in different years and with different characteristics. In this guide we will show you in fact how to choose a new iPad, showing you the features to consider, the differences between the various models and, in the end, the inevitable purchase guide, so you can immediately order our favorite iPad directly online (using Amazon we will save something compared to the Apple online store or to specialized centers).READ ALSO: Configure the new iPad: optimizations and apps to get started
Guide to choose a new iPad
Choosing a new iPad is not easy, given the numerous models available on the market. Reading the chapter on the technical characteristics we will immediately see how to recognize an old iPad from a new one, so as to be sure to buy a model still supported by Apple and on which we can install any app. After following this, we can immerse ourselves in the real buying guide, where we will recommend only the best iPads for quality/price ratio.
Before buying any iPad, make sure that the following technical characteristics are present:
- IPad models: iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, and iPad Air are currently available. Each model has different characteristics, although all have undergone a restyling in recent years, making them very similar in technical characteristics. In fact, between one model and another, the screen size, thickness, and support for dedicated Apple technologies change (on some iPads they are present, on others not). If we have to make a choice, the best is currently the iPad Mini and the iPad Pro.
- Screen: For iPads, 7.9-inch, 9.7-inch, 10.5-inch, 11-inch, and 12.9-inch screens are available. Since we are talking about a tablet, we advise you to focus on models that approach 10 inches if you do not need to use an additional keyboard; if you want to replace a notebook or create a comfortable 2-in-1, we recommend the models with a 12.9-inch screen.
- Internal memory: since iPads do not offer slots to expand the internal memory, we advise you to focus only on models with at least 32 GB of space, considering that a part of it is occupied by the operating system so we will still have less space than stated on the package.
- Connections: all iPads have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to connect to the Internet and to the most used wireless devices (headphones, smartphones, PC, Mac, etc.). On some models, there is also the LTE module, which allows you to connect to the Internet even outside the home using a SIM with data offer.
- Ports: on iPad Pro from 2018 onwards we find a very versatile USB-C port, which allows you to recharge the device and connect a large number of devices and accessories. If on the chosen iPad we will find this port, the audio output for the headphones (3.5mm) will be missing: we will necessarily have an adapter if we still use headphones or earphones with the cable. The other iPad models instead have the audio output for the headphones and the Lightning port typical of Apple, which is less versatile than the USB-C but now can count on many accessories compatible with it.
- Apple Pencil support: the Apple Pencil is the special “digital pencil” produced by Apple to be able to write, draw, or use apps with extreme precision. It is not compatible with all iPad models but only with iPad Pro from 2018 onwards and with iPad Air and Mini from 2019. Given its high cost, it is convenient to use one of the many capacitive pens available on the market and compatible with any iPad.
- Support cover with the keyboard: Apple’s Smart Keyboard allows you to turn your iPad into a small notebook, so you can write and program when needed. It is available in various sizes to fit all iPads, but it is decidedly expensive: we can find many covers with a third-party keyboard (cheaper) that can be connected via Bluetooth.
- Operating system: All modern iPads support iPadOS, the new iOS-based operating system that adds some specific features for the tablet. The downloadable apps are practically the same as the iPhone, the important thing is that the app developer supports the iPad being released (many apps are only available on the iPhone).
After looking closely at the technical characteristics that an iPad must have, below we will find the best models that can be purchased online on Amazon, thus saving on the final cost and obtaining the Amazon guarantee.
Classic Apple iPad
The cheapest iPad we can buy is a Classic Apple iPad, simply called the iPad. It features a 10.2-inch Retina screen, Wi-Fi module, 32 GB of internal memory, 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP FaceTime HD front camera, fingerprint sensor, stereo speakers, and 10-hour battery life.
We can buy this iPad model here -> Apple iPad Classic (380 €).
Apple iPad mini
If we are looking for an even thinner and more practical iPad model to carry around but equipped with all the latest technologies we can focus on Apple iPad mini, equipped with a 7.9-inch Retina display with True Tone technology, 64 GB of internal memory, 8MP rear camera, 7MP FaceTime HD front camera, Touch ID fingerprint sensor and autonomy up to 10 hours.
We can purchase this iPad model here -> Apple iPad mini (€ 435).
Apple iPad Air
Further evolution of the lightweight iPad concept is the Apple iPad Air, which boasts a 10.5 “Retina display with True Tone technology, wide HDR color gamut, 64 GB of internal memory, Touch ID and Apple Pay fingerprint sensor, 8MP rear camera, 7MP FaceTime HD front camera, module Wi-Fi AC, support for the LTE data network and up to 10 hours of autonomy.
We can buy this iPad model here -> Apple iPad Air (656 €).
The best tablet currently available is undoubtedly iPad Pro, which boasts notebook features while maintaining the convenience and practicality of the tablet. It boasts a 12.9 “edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with ProMotion, True Tone and wide color gamut HDR, 512 GB of internal memory, Face ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay, 12MP rear camera, camera 7MP TrueDepth front, Four speaker audio and native support for the Apple keyboard/cover and pen.
We can buy this iPad model here -> iPad Pro with (1200 €).
If we do not pay too much attention to the costs and we are looking for the best tablet on the market, just choose one of the iPad models seen above to be on the safe side: you will never be disappointed, the Apple quality is handsomely paid but you will hardly find tablets with the same durability, the same support, and the same characteristics.
If you are looking for valid alternatives to the iPad, we advise you to read our guides Best Windows 10 Portable PC convertible to Tablet is Guide to buying a new tablet.
Does your child use the tablet too much? We can impose limits by reading the suggestions proposed in our article How to limit the use of smartphones and tablets to minors.