Use a server NAS local data backup brings with it many advantages. The data is always available, can be transferred with the best possible bandwidth guaranteed by the LAN connection, backup and recovery activities are fast, flexible and widely customizable. However, although the NAS is normally set up in RAID configuration, to avoid data loss the backup offsite of the contents of the NAS is essential.
Why it is important to take an offsite backup of your NAS
As with any other hardware device, they can occur operating problems also NAS side. Not to mention incidents such as theft, flooding, damage of various kinds which can make the NAS unusable and compromise the integrity of the data.
The unavailability of the contents of a NAS downstream of a malware attack Furthermore, it is anything but a rare eventuality. Furthermore, in many situations, even a possible risk could prove detrimental to the company’s business blackout that makes the solution used for data storage temporarily inaccessible.
There is a lot of talk about 3-2-1 backup as a winning move for protect data effectively. The suggestion is to always create 3 or more backup copies of the data, on at least 2 different media and prepare at least one copy offsite, for example on the cloud. Here, precisely from this perspective is the concept of backup offsitei.e. the additional storage of data in a location that is outside the company infrastructure, is essential to avoid any risk in terms of integrity, confidentiality and availability of company data.
Hybrid cloud with Cubbit: what it is and why it is useful
Cubbit is a platform for storage cloud which allows you to create and manage immutable backups of data, protecting them from ransomware, other cyber attacks and any accidents. The system made available by Cubbit allows you to use cloud space for data backup, supporting and extending the solutions used by professionals and companies.
The company is entirely Europen (it was founded in Bologna in 2016) and is a champion of the concept of hybrid cloud. This term refers to an environment of cloud computing which combines private cloud resources (on-premise or managed by a third-party provider) and public cloud. This approach allows companies to leverage the advantages of cloud infrastructureboth public and private, configuring itself as a more flexible and efficient solution for their IT needs.
By visiting the Cubbit website it is possible try the service for free of cloud storage for 30 days or schedule a call with the experts to delve deeper into each specific use case.
Advantages of Cubbit as a hybrid backup solution
Using Cubbit you have benefits tangible on five levels:
- Data protection: combining the storage solutions used within the company structure with Cubbit cloud storage means eliminating the risks of data loss. Data storage is not centralized in a single data center, but geo-distributed on multiple servers. An approach that offers stability, security and certainty operational continuity for the company.
- Control and accessibility: in a hybrid cloud system, the company does not completely entrust the management of its data to third parties, but maintains aprivate infrastructure on site to safeguard data that requires low latency. L’hybrid approachhowever, means that business data can be recovered from anywhere, in any part of the world.
- Scalability: Hybrid cloud offers unprecedented flexibility of use. At any time there should be a need to greater storage capacitythe company can purchase new resources on the Cubbit platform and scale in proportion to actual needs.
- Cost efficiency: thanks to the high flexibility and granularity in data management on the Cubbit platform, the professional or company can efficiently commit resources onsite e offsite obtaining the best result with a minimum financial outlay. With Cubbit, expenses are tied to cloud space effectively engaged by their data, without any further increase in costs.
- Ease of use: Cubbit’s hybrid cloud proposal integrates perfectly, as we will see later, with the backup solutions used in each company. So much so that, fitting into the paradigm hybrid cloudthe Cubbit platform expands and improves the solutions adopted in a very simple way and without any “friction”. on-premise.
Cubbit as an offsite backup solution
NAS device manufacturers know that backup is one of the most frequent use cases of their products. Modern storage solutions integrate automated software tools to manage any professional need that involves the creation, management and recovery of backup copies some data.
Synology Hyper Backup e QNAP Hybrid Backup Sync they are two solutions for data backup that both manufacturers include (at no cost) in their respective NAS: just install the two software from the respective online stores (App Center e Package Center).
By changing only a single configuration parameter, you can use both Hyper Backup That Hybrid Backup Sync as tools for backup of the contents of the NAS on a cloud service.
The Cubbit platform it proves to be a brilliant solution for the safe, fast, flexible and reliable storage of data, capable of integrating in a totally transparent way with the other solutions used in the company for data storage. We see this concretely in the examples that we present below and which involve the use of NAS Synology e QNAP.
In both cases there is no clear separation between the local solution for storing company data (the NAS) and the Cubbit cloud platform: the two fully integrate each other.
Creating a compatible S3 bucket on Cubbit
From the Cubbit configuration panel simply click on Buckets, Create new bucket to add and configure a new bucket. This is a compatible “binder”. Amazon S3 which acts as a container, in this case, for all the data hosted by the NAS. As a final step, just click on the button Create bucket down.
With one click your API Keys in the left column then up Generate new client APIyou must therefore generate a pair of credentials Access key ID e Secret access key. These are data that must be maintained strictly confidential and which are then used when setting up Hyber Backup and Hybrid Backup Sync on Synology and QNAP NAS. It is also a good idea to assign an easy-to-remember name as the name of the Cubbit key (click on Update access key name).
Both QNAP NAS and Synology NAS support bucket S3 as a destination for storing backups and are equipped with advanced features to create backup copies of company information in the cloud.
Immutable and versioned backup with Cubbit: what it means
In the title we talked about backup anti-ransomware: yes, because Cubbit allows – as we have seen – to create bucket S3 compatibles that support theObject Locking. This is a mechanism that allows you to choose which data should remain immutable. During the specified time window, company data cannot be encrypted, altered or deleted by anything or anyone.
Cloud storage thus becomes the best ally in the battle against ransomware but also against more classic malware infections, human errors, cyber attacks, unfaithful employees and so on.
The mechanism of versioning enabled on Cubbit allows you to access the backup history and accelerate data recovery in the event of any type of incident. With one click Show versionsin the Cubbit interface, you are always able to restore any version of any saved object.
In another article we focused on ransomware prevention with Cubbit thanks to the creation of a immutable backup sul cloud.
Backup del NAS su Cubbit con Synology Hyper Backup
To request the backup del NAS Synology on Cubbit, just launch the Hyper Backup application from your device’s web admin panel then select S3 archive.
On the next screen it must be chosen Customize Server URL come Server S3 so you need to set i parameters for accessing…