The time has finally come for iPhone users to install a new major update. After the presentation at WWDC23 in June and the several beta versions released during the summer, Apple has released the final version of iOS 17. As already underlined on other occasions, this is not an update that changes the iPhone operating system, but introduces new useful features and improves existing ones.
Below are the main news of iOS 17 and the list of iPhones compatible with the update.
iOS 17 is here: the main new features of the iPhone operating system update
- Contact poster: With iOS 17 the user can create new custom graphics that are used in apps to communicate (Phone, for example) and share. Customization allows you to choose photos, Memoji, font and background color.
- Messages: By tapping the “+” button you can see all the things you share most often with other users using the Messages system app. The apps that integrate with the platform can also be consulted from the same list.
- Transcription of vowels: Voice messages are transcribed, so you can discover the content even in those situations where a voice message cannot be heard.
- Stickers: A new panel with live stickers, emoji, Memoji, and other sticker packs is available in the Messages app.
- FaceTime: With iOS 17 you can record and share short videos for special occasions. Videos can also be customized (Portrait mode, fun 3D effects, stickers, etc.). The FaceTime app can now also be used on Apple TV.
- StandBy: When iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro are placed horizontally on a wireless charger, they transform into an alarm clock, a frame for favorite photos, or can continue to provide important information with smart widget collections.
- Interactive widget: widgets can be used directly from the Home screen, from the lock screen or when the smartphone is in StandBy.
- NameDrop: just bring two iPhones (or an iPhone to an Apple Watch) together to exchange contact information.
- Safari allows the creation of profiles, each with its own information such as history, extensions, panel groups, cookies and favorites.
- The Private Browsing now blocks private windows when not in use, prevents known trackers from loading on pages, and eliminates tracking codes added to URLs.
- iOS 17 enables a new listening mode for the second generation AirPods Pro: it’s theadaptive audiowhich mixes Transparency Mode and active noise cancellation to adjust ambient noise control based on location and user activity.
- To activate the voice assistant now just say “Siri” (previously the trigger phrase was “Hey, Siri”).
iPhones compatible with iOS 17
- iPhone SE (2nd generation and later)
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS e XS Max
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro e 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro e 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 13 Pro e 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro e 14 Pro Max
- Already pre-installed on iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max
How to install the update
Download iOS 17 It’s really very simple and very few steps are required. Just go in Settings → General → Software Update. Since this is a major update, the weight will be several GB and the download may take longer than expected due to “traffic”.