This login and password protection must always be set, even if you work alone at home or if we are sure that your PC is safe from strangers, not only to avoid access to the curious, but also to have a barrier against any intrusions. from the network which, even if unlikely if you are connected to the internet via a router, are always possible.
If the PC is always at home, it is used only by us and you are not afraid that someone can get their hands on it to spy on our things, after setting the password you can enable automatic logon to Windows 10 and Windows 11. In this way, after turning on the PC, the initial loading will immediately bring the user to the desktop, without having to enter password.
In the following guide we see together how to log in to windows without password, using the tools made available by the operating system. If we have forgotten the password it is not a problem: we can also recover it on the new Windows 11 system.
READ ALSO: Customize the lock screen in Windows 10
Quick access methods on Windows
First of all, it is important to point out that in Windows 10 it is possible to use different ways to access your PC, not necessarily the password. Give her Settings Windows 10, go to the section dedicated toAccount to find the access options. You can then activate one of the quick methods to access the PC without a password which are:
- Windows Hello, which allows quick access via fingerprint or face recognition, which only works on compatible laptops and tablets.
- PIN: similar to the password but quicker to enter as it is made up of numbers only.
- Graphic password– Similar to the Android smartphone security sequence, for use on touch screens only.
- Dynamic lock: This feature automatically locks your computer if a paired Bluetooth device is not found nearby.
Of all the access methods seen above, the quickest to access Windows without a password are fingerprints, visa recognition and dynamic lock (the latter to be associated with a personal phone).
How to set up the dynamic lock
If we are interested in the dynamic block the only requirement is to have a PC with Bluetooth connection, which is always included in the latest generation laptops and can be integrated into any PC (even fixed) by buying a Bluetooh adapter for PC.
Therefore, by associating, for example, the smartphone to the PC, Windows 10 and Windows 11 can recognize the user from the simple Bluetooth connection and then automatically lock the computer every time we go to the bathroom or we leave for other reasons.
As seen in our guide to the Windows dynamic lock so just be close to unlock the PC or move away to lock it, so you can access the computer quickly.
Instant access without login
To be able to log in to Windows 10 without a password instead you have to use a somewhat hidden option that is not in the settings.
To find it, you need to open the management page of User accounts, the fastest way is by pressing the keys together Windows R to open the Execute commands box, then type the command netplwiz and press Enter.
The window that appears lists the users registered on the PC: select our user account and uncheck the box at the top of To use this computer, the user must enter their name and password. To conclude, let’s click on Apply and restart the PC. The access to Windows will then be automatic and it will no longer be necessary to write the password at startup.
The option may not be visible on Windows 10 and Windows 11. To make it visible you have to go to Settings> Accounts> Login options and disable the option Request Windows Hello to sign in for Microsoft accounts O For added security, only allow Microsoft accounts to sign in to Windows Hello on this device.
With your Microsoft account you can log in without a password setting up the Authenticator app on your phone, as explained in another article.
Windows logon with forgotten password
If we have completely forgotten the Windows logon password and have not configured any of the quick logins shown above, we can attempt to recover the password and consequently logon to Windows in various ways:
- Microsoft password recovery: if we have associated our Microsoft account with Windows, simply access the Microsoft password recovery site from another computer or smartphone and follow the procedure indicated for recovery. After changing the password of the Microsoft account, make sure that the locked PC is connected to the Internet at login (also via Ethernet cable) and try to enter the new password.
- Local password reset: when creating the local password we must also indicate specific suggestions and questions, so as to facilitate the replacement of the password.
- Clear the local password: alternatively we can always delete the password associated with a local account using a live CD di Linux.
- Create new admin user: the more advanced procedure allows you to create a new user with administrative permissions, so you can easily regain access to your PC, delete the old user and create a new one (after moving personal files).
The procedures for recovering and activating new user accounts they don’t work if the PC is encrypted: this means that, if we do not want any security system to be easily bypassed on our PC, it is advisable to always use a Microsoft account and encryption of the entire disk.
However, removing the password when Windows starts has some drawbacks. First of all, yes makes the computer less secure when it is no longer protected from access, but this if we are sure to use it only us can be a negligible problem.
The second contraindication is that the login screen can be useful for restoring your computer in case of problems loading Windows 10. If, in fact, there was a Windows startup error and if this error occurs after logging in, you can press the restart key at the bottom right while holding down the Shift key on the keyboard, in order to start the computer with repair tools.
If you then skip the login screen, you will lose the ability to repair Windows 10 at the push of a button, losing quick access to safe mode or recovery console.
Many of the methods seen above allow you to log into any Windows PC with a new admin user: even if the procedure is complex, it remains feasible even for inexperienced users, who can memorize it and use it to access even blocked PCs or other people’s PCs.