- Password reset disk
- Reset Windows 10 password if it can be accessed
- Reset of the Microsoft account password used to log in
- Change password to Windows 10 at PC startup
- Programs to reset the Windows 10 password
Create password reset disk
If you set a password that is difficult to remember or you do not want to risk losing it, in Windows 7 Windows 8 and Windows 10 you can create a disk (CD or USB pen) to restore the password so that it can be easily reset and restored.
The way to do this is to open the Control panel to the section User accounts where you will find on the left side, if you are using a local account, the option to create a “Password reset disk“. This utility allows you to create a USB stick that can reset the password to access Windows in the event that the password is forgotten. Obviously the tool of the password reset disk must be used before forgetting the password.
Windows 10 password reset after logging in with a PIN
If you always use the PIN or other unlocking methods to log in to Windows 10 and have forgotten the main password, you can do a reset in this way to reset it.
- Press the keys simultaneously Windows is X and click Command Prompt (Administrator) or, if it does not appear, search the Start cmd menu and open the command prompt as an administrator.
- Then type the following command replacing account_name with the account name used and entering a new password:
net user account_name new_password
- Press Enter
The new password will be the one chosen.
Windows 10 password reset if a Microsoft account is used
In the case yes instead use a Microsoft account on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 you can always ask for a reset of the Microsoft account password by going to the web page https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx. In this case, it will be necessary to enter the email address used for the Microsoft account or the phone number registered in the account.
Reset the Windows 10 password if it cannot be accessed
If you forget your password and you get stuck at the Windows 10 login request, it is still possible to reset this password and enter the account used. The trick to resetting the Windows 10 password works fine, it’s easy, secure, and without any side effects.
- When you get to the Windows 10 login screen, hold down the Shift key, press the power button, and then click Restart.
- The computer will start-up in the Restore screen: here you must press the key Troubleshooting, then on Advanced options and finally sir “System image restore“.
- Press on “Select a system image” and to go Come on.
- On the next page, click on the “advanced“.
- Use the option “Install a driver” and press OK.
- When the file browsing window opens, go to drive C (the drive where Windows is installed) and go to the folder C: Windows System32.
- Search for the file “Utilman” and rename it in another way, for example, Utilman1.
- Next, search for “cmd” in the same folder and give this file the name Ullman.
- Now you can close the window and restart the computer without obviously doing any image restoration.
Now, when the login screen appears with the login to access the computer, you can press on the icon of accessibility in the lower right corner.
Following the modification made on the file Utilman, instead of the screen with accessibility options, the command prompt will open. Here it will be enough to write and execute the following command:
A new window will open with the button “Reset password” to modify the existing one and put a new one.
By restarting the PC, you can then log in with the new registered password.
Alternatively, you can also use the command
net user “Username” New-password
To directly set the new login password for that specified username. Finally, remember to rename the file Utilman in cmd and the file Utilman1 in Utilman.
This method can work on any computer, even one that is not your own, but you have to be careful in this case, because if you change your password the PC owner will immediately find out that someone has performed this operation and will not be able to access it in turn. In the screen that resets the password, you can still disable the option that “to access this computer you must enter a name and password“, to bypass the password request.
A variation of this trick, which requires the Windows 10 installation CD, can work for login without a password with a new administrator account, without touching the computer user account password.
Reset the Windows 10 password using external programs
If instead you want to bypass the password request on a PC and want to reset the Windows password, there are several tools for reset the password for access to the Windows computer.
- ophcrack is a live CD with which to start the computer that actually serves a find the Windows login password stored for a user or administrator.
- KonBoot allows you to log in to Windows without a password.
- Lazesoft Recover My Password is a free application for reset the password of any Windows operating system, inclusive Windows 10, 8, 7, Using this program, using another computer, you can prepare the CD or USB stick with which to access the PC without a password. After booting from a CD or USB, the program does everything automatically and allows you to reset the password of any user-selected on Windows, including Administrator.
- Another alternative tool to reset Windows 7 and 8.1 passwords are Offline NT Password & Registry Editor which I haven’t tested but which should work fine.