How to stream streaming videos and speed up uploads of Netflix, DAZN and other services or applications
Unfortunately, not all Internet lines (fixed and mobile) offer the same stability or fluidity when viewing content, thus leading to boring “buffering” or leaps in quality, which can obviously compromise the use of the service.
If we have run into these problems, in this guide we will show you all the tips to apply for being able to see Netflix, DAZN, or other streaming services well similar videos.READ ALSO: If Netflix Streaming is slow or in low quality, How to fix it
How to speed up video streaming
If Netflix, DAZN, or other services freeze or start uploading too often, just use one of the recommended methods below to watch streaming video without jerks or freezes of all sorts. The recommendations are valid both for ADSL connections (more subject to the problem) and for FTTC or FTTH connections (faster therefore less subject to buffering).
Use the Ethernet cable
The simplest trick in the world to avoid blockages and slowdowns when streaming video involves using the Ethernet network cable, with which to connect the device in which we view the online streaming (Smart TV, console, decoder, TV Box or PC).
By connecting to the Internet via cable, we will overcome the problems of interference from Wi-Fi networks and obtain a high and constant transmission speed over time. Obviously, in order to apply this trick, the modem or router at home must be close enough to the playback device, so that you can also hide the cable behind a piece of furniture or on the baseboard; luckily there are Ethernet cables of various length on the market, like the models below:
- AmazonBasics – Cat6 Ethernet patch cable with RJ45 connectors, 1.5m (€ 6)
- Primewire Cat 7 Network Cable LAN Cable 1m (€ 7)
- UGREEN Cat 7 Ethernet Cable, Network Cable 10 Gbps 5m (12 €)
- CSL – 10m Network Cable – Cat.6 10m (10 €)
We choose the right cable length and use it to bring the Internet to the streaming stream playback device.
Use the 5 GHz Wi-Fi network
If the Ethernet network cable cannot be used, perhaps because the playback device is in another room, we can rely on the wireless network only if we can benefit from the 5 GHz Wi-Fi network.
This type of network offers very high connection speeds (comparable to the Ethernet cable), but with coverage lower than 2.4 GHz: the devices to be connected must be very close in order to obtain the full signal and view streaming services without problems.
If our modem already has a 5 GHz network, activate it and connect to it, perhaps setting a slightly different name than the 2.4 GHz network; if our modem does not have this type of network, below we can find valid routers from cascade:
- TP-Link Archer C50 (€ 31)
- Netgear R6120 (€ 39)
- AC10U tent (49 €)
- AVM FRITZ! Box 7530 (€ 119)
To deepen the discussion we advise you to read our guides on Differences between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks; which is better is Add 5GHz WiFi for PC, for faster connection.
Use Wi-Fi Extender or Powerline
If the Smart TV or any other streaming device is too far from the modem to use a network cable or 5 GHz Wi-Fi, we can expand the network capabilities by using a Wi-Fi Extender or a Powerline.
With these devices we will be able to extend the coverage of the 5 GHz network or bring the Ethernet connection even to very distant rooms, maintaining good speed.
The best 5 GHz Wi-Fi Extenders are available below:
- TP-Link RE200 (24 €)
- Netgear EX6120 (€ 39)
- AVM FRITZ! WLAN 1160 (€ 64)
If we are looking for Powerlines instead, we can view the best kits below:
- Tent PH3 Powerline Kit (35 €)
- TP-Link TL-PA7017 Powerline Kit (39 €)
- AVM FRITZ! Powerline 510E Kit (48 €)
- Netgear PLW1000-100PES (€ 69)
On these types of devices, we can learn more by reading our articles on the Internet on the power outlet with the Powerline and Best 5 GHz WiFi repeaters, to increase internet coverage.
READ ALSO: WiFi Mesh: how to increase wireless coverage
Other useful tips to speed up Netflix and other services
If with the advice we have seen so far we have not solved, we can apply some simple tricks to see Netflix, DAZN or other streaming services well without having to change lines or modems:
- Disconnect unnecessary devices: if we have multiple devices that surf the Internet at high speed (online video games, torrent downloads, etc.), we may run into a slowdown in streaming until it is completely blocked. In this case, just turn off or stop all unnecessary Internet activities, so as to reserve all the bandwidth of the connection to the device dedicated to streaming.
- Use the modem QoS: modern modems or routers allow to set a band priority only for some devices and in certain time slots. If our modem allows it, you can activate the QoS function and reserve a large part of the band to the Smart TV or to the device on which we usually see the streaming contents: we will be able to speed up the connection without having to give up all the others network-connected devices (which should be turned off anyway, especially if we use an ADSL connection).
- Reboot the modem: if none of the previous advice has helped us, turning the modem off and on again could solve some problems, especially on models that are dated or supplied with little internal memory.
- Check and resolve network problems: packet loss, latency, and jitter
- Settings and tricks to improve Netflix streaming
If none of the above methods worked, the problem is probably too slow; we evaluate whether to pass in FTTC or FTTH, reading our guides Best Optical Fiber: check coverage and offers is Gigabit or 1000 Mega fiber: how to get it to surf fast.
For our streaming service it works badly or freezes, with the advice above we will solve most of the “domestic” problems but let’s not forget that, in some cases, the problems concern our line or the servers of the chosen service, which can in any time “get clogged”.
To speed up the Internet and network connection, we recommend that you also read our guides on Programs to keep the net and internet fast is Increase video streaming speed to the max.