Best programs to create a server on your computer so that files are accessible from anywhere via the internet.
READ ALSO -> Ways to use the Cloud for music, videos, photos, and various files
How to create a home cloud server
There are several methods of building a home cloud server, including a few free programs useful for turning your computer into a file server to share files online, reachable from anywhere in the world.
Below we will show you the most effective ways to recreate a personal cloud that can replace the world’s most popular cloud services.
Choose the home server
As a home server for the cloud we can use a desktop PC also quite old, as long as it is possible to connect one or more SATA hard drives: it will be our new space in the cloud, so it is better to choose a device that allows you to add new disks if necessary.
As an alternative to the fixed PC, we can rely on a NAS solution such as the Synology DiskStation DS220j RTD1296, available on Amazon for less than € 200.
In both cases, the servers will be connected via Ethernet cable to the home modem and we will also need to get high-efficiency hard drives, such as the WD RED Internal Unit for 4TB NAS, available on Amazon for less than 150 €.
To learn more, we recommend that you read our guides Buying a Network NAS Storage: what is it for and how much does it cost e How to install a second internal disk in the PC.
Creare un server cloud con Syncthing
After setting up the cloud server it is time to take care of the software part, that is to share the server folders to make them available via the cloud on any other device on the network or connected remotely. The best program for the purpose is Syncthing, available for free for Windows, Mac, Linux and NAS OS from the official website.
This program works without relying on any external server, synchronizing folders with P2P technology. Once installed, all we have to do is create a user (thus choosing username and password) choose the folders to include in the share, and manually add the devices that can access our cloud, choosing from time to time also the type of synchronization (mirror, unidirectional or bidirectional).
To synchronize mobile devices simply download the app di Syncthing, available for Android.
To learn more we can also read our guide Create a personal Cloud Server on your PC, unlimited and free.
Creare un server cloud con WebDAV (Webdisk)
Another effective way to quickly create your own personal cloud is to use WebDAV, which is a useful protocol for sharing an entire disk on the web (password protected and encrypted). Starting from our personal NAS, we access the configuration interface (by typing the NAS address inside the browser), let’s go to the sharing configuration screen and make sure to activate WebDAVs The SSL WebDAV (i.e. the version of WebDAV with connection encryption).
Once you have enabled the service on the NAS and enabled the port for the port forwarding new modem we can access our shared cloud space in different ways:
- Windows 10 PCs on the same network: in this scenario just open This PC, right click just below the main hard drive, use the entry Add network path and type the IP address of the NAS and the port number of the WebDAV service (type 192.168.1.2:3467).
- Windows 10 PCs present outside the home: we can access the WebDAV resources by forwarding our public IP address and using a program like Cyberduck.
- Android devices: we can use a full file manager app like Solid Explorer.
- IOS / iPadOS devices: we can use a specific app like WebDAV Navigator.
To discover other file managers capable of managing the WebDAV protocol, please read our guides Best Android File Manager to manage phone files and folders e Best file manager on iPhone and iPad to manage files and shares.
Other methods of creating a cloud server
In addition to the methods seen above, we can create a personal cloud server using other equally valid and effective methods, such as those listed below:
- Microsoft OneDrive can be used as a file server it is certainly one of the simplest and safest methods.
- Another effective way to turn a computer into a fileserver involves the use of BitTorrent Sync with which it is possible to synchronize folders so that they are identical on each computer and also on the smartphone or tablet, with direct transfer.
- Tonido, the Cloud drive at home to have unlimited online hard drives
- Weezo to create a server on your computer to share resources on the internet
- PCloud is a free client-server program that proposes itself as a “personal cloud for anyone”, to create storage always available on the internet using your computer.
There is no shortage of alternatives, we just have to choose the one that best suits our needs.
By creating your own personal server we can replace Google Drive, Google Photos and OneDrive with a cloud space that is always accessible, always free, and with virtually unlimited capacity (even if it all depends on the size of the disks we choose), so as to always have maximum privacy and maximum control over all the files we decide to synchronize online on our devices.
Always on the subject of synchronization of folders and personal files, we invite you to read our guides Programs for synchronizing files and folders between computers e Synchronize folders and files with Microsoft SyncToy.