It then becomes possible to create a very economical control system in the computer room or for any other room in the houseto be calm when we are out, in order to spy on what is happening at any time.
In this article we go to see the best programs to manage video surveillance from your computer using a webcam basic or an IP camera, which is wireless, but connected to the wifi network and accessible remotely.
READ ALSO: Best wifi IP cameras for video surveillance to buy
Yawcam is the first program to report when it comes to video surveillance from the computer, because it is simple and full of features, completely free.
Yawcam allows you to easily transform any WebCam into a sophisticated one security system capable of identifying and recording any movement suspect within the area under control, and to automatically send notifications of intrusions.
YawCam analyzes the images taken by the WebCam and, if it notices movements within the frame (or only of a certain portion), it activates video recording or a sequence of photos, with the possibility of sending an e-mail message to an address default, or the direct sending of the photos to a remote server via FTP or more simply storing everything on the hard disk. There are several configuration parameters including the recording trigger sensitivity.
The nice thing about YawCam is the ability to use a Web server that allows you to use the WebCam via the internet and see in real time the video streaming of what has been shot.
Of YawCam I wrote one guide to monitor via webcam, receive email alerts and stream footage.
Another valid program for using the webcam as a surveillance system is Webcamoida free and open source program.
This simple program allows you to create a continuous recording of everything that the webcam takes, so you can always find out who opens our room or what happens during our absence. The app also allows you to apply filters and changes to footage in real time and can be configured to capture from multiple webcams, as well as record the desktop.
iSpy is a great program for monitor with webcam and microphone by recording movements on the computer.
iSpy is the world’s most popular open source video surveillance application, compatible with most webcams and IP cameras for sale, with over 2 million users worldwide.
iSpy uses webcams and microphones to detect and record motion or sound and provides security, surveillance, monitoring and alerting services. iSpy can be configured to run on multiple computers at the same time.
ContaCam is an open source and free software, often updated and actively developed, capable of managing RTSP and H.264 network cameras (IP cameras) and webcams, designed for CCTV security surveillance thanks to the video recorder, the ability to detect the movement and web server to access the images also via the internet.
ContaCam is really great for creating a surveillance system with webcams and IP cameras, since it is presented in Italian and is light, fast and easy to use. It is currently one of the best choices for those who want a free but comprehensive surveillance system.
5) Security Eye
Security Eye is an excellent program for recording from networked cameras.
Security Eye is one of the best applications to activate real video surveillance with webcams and IP cameras, although its free version allows you to record videos or monitor places for up to 2 hours per session. The program supports Network (IP) cameras Integrated USB camera or other webcams.
5) Netcam Studio
NetCam Studio is a powerful and feature-rich video surveillance program.
In addition to the common features found in video surveillance software (including motion detection), Netcam Studio has audio detection, license plate recognition, synchronization of Cloud and NAS recordings.
The free version embeds a Netcam Studio software logo at the bottom of the recorded video.
Other video surveillance programs
Fortunately, alternatives to video surveillance programs are not lacking, so you can easily create your own monitoring system by spending less than professional solutions or complete surveillance kits.
1) TeboCam is a very simple video surveillance software with the particularity that he notices if something changes in the image taken and sends a message via Email in case there are unforeseen movements. You can also tell the program to monitor and monitor only a portion of the shot so if there were any movements of objects due to the wind, they would not be reported.
2) Ivideon is a good free program to manage connected cameras from any device, including computers and smartphones with apps for iPhone and Android. Ivideon alone detects suspicious events in the camera’s field of view and sends notifications and alarms.
3) Agent DVR is a free software for managing webcams and IP cameras, an evolution of iSpy. The program can record video from cameras, zoom, take pictures on demand, or it can be configured for continuous shooting at regular time intervals.
4) Xeoma is one of the best video surveillance tools, with a free version that allows you to view up to 1000 cameras for unlimited usage time. You can also see the footage of public CCTV cameras around the world by connecting to them via the internet. There is also the Motion Detector function to detect motion in front of each camera. You can also take screenshots and take photos from each camera, and a computer microphone can be used as an audio source for a camera.
5) Camera Viewer Pro it is one of the best in terms of usability and utilization of system resources, using only 1% of the CPU during operation.
6) Genius Vision NVR is a free version camera IP camera named Community Edition which has the only limitation of recording from 4 IP cameras, more which is sufficient for non-commercial use. The program is quite old and difficult to use.
7) EyeLine It has been designed specifically for business but is perfect for video surveillance of offices, buildings and commercial establishments and private homes. EyeLine can simultaneously record from an unlimited number of webcams, the only limit is the capacity of the PC running the application and recording the images taken. The recorded images can be stored in a local PC and automatically compressed for archiving or for subsequent searches by date, time, specific camera or webcam, or other criteria using the search function in the program.
If we have a business or just want to surveillance of the house, a room or an apartment we can use the best video surveillance programsusing the PC WebCams and IP cameras to create the shooting points, saving everything on a PC disk file or accessing the video stream in streaming.
Other video surveillance programs are reported in the article on how turn the webcam into a surveillance camera.