It doesn’t matter if Whatsapp is in the Facebook galaxy or if there are alternatives like Telegram which also has more Whatsapp features, WhatsApp is still the most used chat and message app, where we can surely find everyone, available for practically every type of smartphone, including Samsung, Huawei, all Android phones, iPhones and Windows phones.
In this article, we are going to make a complete summary of all the Whatsapp tricks and the most hidden secrets, to become perfect not only in writing messages but also in managing various conversations, groups and using Whatsapp as a true master.
READ ALSO: Improve Whatsapp with 10 apps to add features to the chat
1) Hide the last time you were online and the notifications of reading messages
By default, WhatsApp shows the time of the last time you connected and shows it to others.
On iPhone you can disable this option with an option in Settings> Chat settings> Advanced.
On Android go instead in Settings -> Account> Privacy to hide the last access time and also the double blue check of the message read.
Regarding what to show others we have seen in another article la Privacy guide Whatsapp.
Only with an additional app is it possible, instead, to hide the last access and read confirmations without renouncing to see the last access of the others.
2) Backup and Restore of WhatsApp messages
WhatsApp automatically backs up conversations in Google Drive on Android phones and in iCloud on iPhone, but to be more sure of losing nothing you can also do a manual backup.
All the details to recover deleted Whatsapp and history messages on Android and iPhone are in another article.
3) See and delete photos and videos received in Whatsapp
You can browse all the photos received in Whatsapp from the Gallery app.
You can then save all the photos on your mobile phone on your computer with Photosync.
4) Receive a notification when a contact is online on Whatsapp it is only possible with an external app.
5) Create Links For Important Contacts
If you always chat with the same people, it’s worth creating a quick link on your mobile screen for the most important contacts.
Only on Android, this trick is very simple and you just need to long-press on the group or on the name of the user whose link you want to create and then choose “create shortcut“.
6) Prevent WhatsApp from having the images and photos received in chat appear in the main gallery of the phone.
With WhatsApp, it can be annoying to see a folder dedicated to the photos received in the Gallery app or in the Camera Roll
Maybe it’s private images or nonsense to ignore.
To avoid this problem on the iPhone you have to go to Settings -> Privacy -> Photos.
To hide photos from the mobile gallery on Android instead the thing is more complicated: it is necessary to create a file .nomedia in the WhatsApp images folder, as explained in the linked guide.
7) Change phone number of Whatsapp account
If the phone number has been changed, but the same smartphone has been kept, it is not necessary to uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
There is a setting inside that allows you to migrate the account to a different phone number.
In Whatsapp, go to Settings -> Account -> Change number.
Check the new number and you’re done.
In the groups to which you are invited, a message will appear to all about the Whatsapp security code change for Whatsapp end-to-end encryption.
8) Secure the account
You can protect your Whatsapp account with two-step verification, as explained in another guide.
9) Install WhatsApp on an Android tablet
WhatsApp can only be installed on devices that work as a telephone, otherwise, it will not work.
Furthermore, there is another limitation, Whatsapp can work, for an account, only on one device at a time and therefore it is not possible to connect simultaneously from two different devices to the same account.
To install Whatsapp on tablet you must install the app by downloading the apk file to be run on the tablet (authorizing the installation from unknown origins).
Download and then install SRT AppGuard.
Run SRT AppGuard, select WhatsApp from the Dashboard and press Monitor; scroll down and disable the identity-check of the phone.
WhatsApp should now work on the tablet.
To activate WhatsApp, you can receive the activation code on your mobile.
10) Use Whatsapp on PC
From January 2015 it is possible to chat on Whatsapp Web from any computer, via the web.
From May 2016 instead, the official Whatsapp program for PC and Mac is available.
11) WhatsApp Chat heads on Android
One of the best things about Facebook Messenger is the images of the profiles that appear as floating dots on the screen when a message is received.
Using WhatsApp Chat Heads can achieve the same effect.
The app also allows you to customize the color of the LED, the notification sounds and the colors of the dots for each contact.
READ ALSO: Whatsapp functions to be known to be experts
12) Whatsapp usage statistics on Android
WhatsApp Analyzer is the app to use to know everything about how Whatsapp is used on the phone.
13) Receive notifications of messages received on WhatsApp on the computer desktop
If you work on your computer during the day, you can receive Whatsapp messages on your PC thanks to Whatsapp Web or using other applications like Pushbullet.
In another article, apps for receiving Android notifications on PC.
14) Make jokes with false Whatsapp chat
To share funny situations or jokes in Whatsapp chat form on Facebook, you can use applications to create false Whatsapp conversations and chats for Android and iPhone
15) Prevent automatic downloading of images or videos
Going up Settings -> Chat Settings -> download media automatically to disable the automatic download of photos or videos received, making a different choice depending on the connection you use.
16) Synchronize the contact photos of the address book with those of Whatsapp
Through the WhatsApp Contacts Photo Sync application, it is possible, on an Android phone, to synchronize the contact photos with those used for Whatsapp.
The application is not automatic and requires manual selection one by one.
17) format text in messages
One of the best-hidden tricks is to write in bold, italics and strikethrough text on Whatsapp
18) Protect WhatsApp from prying eyes
Everyone, at some point or another, maybe dealing with curious friends who want to see what we have written and with whom we have chatted.
To avoid peeking, you can protect WhatsApp on Android with some apps that I’ve already talked about in the past.
19) See who added us to the contacts
In Whatsapp, the people whose phone number you have (obviously using Whatsapp) are automatically added to the contacts.
Thanks to a special trick it is possible to know if a person has taken up our phone number or not.
Below many Whatsapp tricks and secrets explained in other articles:
20) You can send the same message to several people using the broadcast.
In another article all the tricks to use Groups and broadcasts in Whatsapp.
In particular, it is important to know how to check who has read the messages in the groups, which is done by touching our message and then pressing the I button on Android or the options button on the iPhone.
21) Calling with Whatsapp is free and works very well.
22) Thanks to a webchat trick, you can also download the Whatsapp contact list.
23) You can use Whatsapp with two numbers on a Dual Sim smartphone, even if it’s complicated.
24) You can insert additional Emoticons on Whatsapp, Emoji and smilies.
25) You can create and send GIF images on Whatsapp in a super simple way.
26) Whatsapp messages, chats and contacts can be hidden.
27) You can find out who is blocking us in Whatsapp chats.
28) You can forward messages and make citations in Whatsapp.
29) You can tag people on Whatsapp in groups to notify them.
30) You can store the chats in Whatsapp to hide them or make those that you no longer use disappear from view without deleting them.
31) Conversely, you can set the most used chats at the top.
32) Use the state on Whatsapp, which can be text or images and pictures.
33) You can start a chat with myself or with a number not in the phonebook thanks to a special trick described in another article.
34) You can find out the content of messages received in Whatsapp, those that have been deleted by the sender.
READ ALSO: The 10 most requested Whatsapp questions