How a wifi repeater works that allows you to amplify the wifi network and increase signal coverage
If the signal does not reach the second floor or the farthest room, simply use one of the following devices to find a quick solution to your coverage problem. Although these devices are famous for being very simple to use and set up, it is better to know how they work, when you need to use one and what type of range extender to use, also based on the type of Wi-Fi network we intend to extend.
However, if we are novice users with informed devices and don’t know where to start, in this guide we will show you in detail how the Wi-Fi repeater or “Range Extender” works and which one to buy onlineso that we can save something compared to physical stores and purchase only the model capable of satisfying our needs in terms of coverage and connection speed.
READ ALSO -> How to change Wi-Fi network based on signal
1) What is a Wi-Fi repeater
And Wi-Fi repeateralso called Range Extenderis a device that extends the coverage of the wireless network coming from the modem by increasing or amplifying the original signal.
It allows all wireless devices that are within the extended coverage signal to connect to the Internet as if we were connected directly to the starting modem or router, even over large distances.
This device is the ideal solution for having stable and functioning Internet throughout your home or office, in hotels, in shops or outdoor spaces, where the Wi-Fi signal usually does not pick up well if we exceed 60-70 square meters of surface area ( with interference the coverage is even lower).
2) Who needs a Wi-Fi repeater?
To determine whether it is necessary to buy a Wi-Fi amplifier we need to check the current Wi-Fi coverage in your home or office. If we walk around with our smartphone in our hand we notice that the wireless signal disappears in some corners of the house or in entire rooms or if it does not reach the garden or the external balconythen definitely a Wi-Fi repeater might be useful.
Furthermore, even if the signal reached the whole house but was too weak (generating a slow connection), it might be a good idea to buy a Range Extender. To make the internet connection stable and fast, the Wi-Fi signal coming from the router needs to be good and a repeater could certainly solve the problem.
For further information, we invite you to read the guide above how to create a Wi-Fi network map to find out where the signal gets best.
3) Features of a Wi-Fi repeater
Now, however, we need to understand an important difference between the various Range Extenders: it is better to take the single band models or we have to aim with our eyes closed at the modelli dual band?
And single band repeater allows you to amplify only the Wi-Fi network transmitted on the 2.4 GHz frequency: it offers greater network coverage but the speed is not high, being based on protocols that allow a maximum of 30 Mbps to be reached for each device (in the conditions network ideals).
And dual band repeater allows you to amplify both the 2.4 GHz network and the 5GHz network, with the latter offering much higher connection speeds (over 1000 Mbps per single device, also based on the protocol used) at the expense of lower coverage (physical limit of the waves traveling on the 5 GHz frequency). With a dual band repeater we will thus have greater possibilities for expansion, even if we can connect 5GHz devices beyond the two or three rooms of coverage that the modem alone normally offers, thus increasing the possibilities of high-speed Internet access for devices that use more bandwidth (TV Box, Smart TV, console, gaming PC, etc.).
To learn more about the differences between the available Wi-Fi frequencies, we can read our guide to differences between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks.
Another feature of wireless repeaters is the presence of WPS button. If we find this button on the device, we can connect the repeater to the router without configuration, just by pressing this button on both (first on the router and then on the range extender); otherwise it will be necessary to configure the repeater from the computer, connecting to its network address and writing the Wi-Fi password in the control interface.
On this button we can read our guide on how to use the WPS Wi-Fi button safely and quickly.
Password and network name management
An underrated feature is the management of login passwords and network names: across all devices we will have new networks with names completely similar to those of the networks generated by the modembut with theaddition of the EXT suffixso that we can distinguish them.
The access password for amplified networks is usually the same as the main network, so that we can quickly connect any device without having to remember too many passwords (which we can still change if necessary).
4) Buying guide
The best Wi-Fi repeaters or range extenders you can buy they can be found on Amazon at very advantageous prices and almost always lower than in shopping centres. The best cheap dual band models are the following:
- Xiaomi Mi Wi Fi Range Extender: a simple and economical range extender with Dual Band 867Mbps+300Mbps network (2.4 GHz AND 5 GHz), intelligent signal indicator, quick connection (with WPS button) and dual antenna.
- D-Link DAP-1620 Range Extender: a very compact and nice-looking model, with support for AC1300 Dual Band Wi-Fi, 2 retractable external antennas, 1 Gigabit 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet port and WPS button for quick connection.
- Netgear AC1200 WiFi Repeater: compact repeater with clearly visible operating lights, support for AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi, 1 Gigabit Ethernet port 10/100/1000 Mbps, WPS button and 2 adjustable antennas.
- TP-Link RE330 WiFi Repeater: an excellent high-end repeater with AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi support, network extension up to 120 m2, integrated antennas, compact design and compatibility with any modem or router.
- AVM FRITZ!Repeater 3000 Edition International: a fixed repeater with an elegant design with support for Triband Wi-Fi (1,733 Mbit/s, 866 Mbit/s and 400 Mbit/s), support for FRITZ modem Mesh networks, Access Point mode and 2 dedicated Gigabit LAN ports.
If instead we look for models with network support Wi-Fi Mesh et al Wi-Fi 6 we can view the following models:
- Tenda A23 WiFi Repeater 6: a modern and compact repeater equipped with support for AX1500 Dual Band Wi-Fi networks, Access Point mode, Gigabit port, 2 5dBi antennas, intelligent signal LED system, easy Setup and WPA3 protection.
- TP-Link Ripetitore Mesh WiFi 6 RE505X: another valid modern repeater with support for AX1500 Dual Band Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Booster system, 1 dedicated Gigabit Ethernet port, two high gain antennas and WPS keyboard for quick connection.
- AVM Repeater 3000 Ax Edition International: the evolution of the model seen previously, equipped with support for the Wi-Fi 6 network, Triband system (up to 4,200 Mbit, support for Mesh networks, Access Point mode, 2 Gigabit LAN ports and Italian interface.
- NETGEAR EAX80-100EUS: a high-end model intended for shops and offices, equipped with a Wi-Fi 6 system, quick device connection, guest network separations, 4 LAN ports, 8 Streams, access priority management system and management via dedicated app.
To find other models and learn more, we recommend reading our ai article best 5 GHz WiFi repeaters, to increase internet coverage.
Using a range extender will allow you to increase the coverage of our Wi-Fi network in a practical and fast waywithout having to jump through hoops to bring Ethernet cables everywhere in the house and without having to move the modem every time hoping to find the ideal position where it fits everywhere.
In the past we had seen how it was possible Extend Wi-Fi by connecting two wireless routersHowever, this is rather laborious compared to the use of Wi-Fi repeaters (which we recommend using as soon as a coverage problem arises).
If, however, we wanted to bring the speed of the cable connection to the various rooms of the house, even far from the modem, we advise you to read our guide on how to use Powerline for the Internet inside the walls of your home.