In this guide we will show you in detail how to choose a new 4K projector and we will also show you a list of models suitable for all budgets and purchasable online, so as to benefit from the free return in case of problems or malfunctions.
Guide to 4K projectors
To avoid buying poor or unsuitable models, we advise you first of all to read the features that a modern 4K projector must have, in order to know in advance which models to orient yourself (in case we wanted to personally choose the projector in the shop ). If, on the other hand, we want the best models immediately, just read the dedicated buying guide.
A good 4K projector must have the following technical characteristics:
- Resolution: Make sure the projector supports 4K UHD resolution, equal to 3840 x 2160 pixels (also known as 2160p). This resolution is 4 times Full HD, so it will allow us to get sharper images when we play compatible content.
- Chromatic range: now all 4K projectors have HDR support, which allows you to expand the range of colors reproducible with compatible content.
- Brightness: this parameter is indicated in ANSI (or ANSI Lumen) and shows the intensity of the light beam emitted by the projector. If we often use the projector in a dark environment, we can also focus on models with low ANSI; while if we want to use the projector even in broad daylight we need a device with very high ANSI.
- Contrast factor: this value defines the degree of depth of the black projected and the reflection of the color rendering. We try to focus only on models that have a contrast of at least 10,000: 1, without forgetting that this value is still affected by brightness (the more ANSI we have the more black will be faded).
- Projection system: currently the most popular projection systems are DLP (the cheapest), LCD and Laser / LED (the most expensive). In the domestic environment, the most common is the DLP, since the costs for LCD and Laser projectors can be very high (especially when it comes to maintenance).
- Projection lamp life: the projection lamp wears out and decreases in intensity after many hours of use. We try to choose a model with an expected life of at least 10,000 hours, since the replacement lamp can be very expensive.
- Cooling system noise: the projector generates a large amount of heat, which is usually disposed of by a fan. We will have to make sure that the noise from the fan and the projector does not exceed 30 decibels, otherwise I would like to be unable to taste the audio transmitted by the content well.
- Light beam adjustment: many projector models have a trapezoidal correction system (also called keystone), which allows you to adjust each side of the image produced by the beam, so as to adapt it to any wall or tarpaulin without having to physically move the projector.
- Ports and connections: A modern 4K projector has at least one HDMI input, compatible with the vast majority of devices compatible with 4K in turn. The audio output ports must not be missing (better if TOSLINK or SPDIF digital optics), essential for sending digital audio to a home theater system (indispensable when we aim at a projector). The presence of Wi-Fi connectivity helps for the playback of Smart content but it is not essential.
To these elements we must also add a good white projection screen (€ 56) and adjust the positioning of the projector so as to have the right distance between the screen, the projector and the viewing station. In this regard, we invite you to read our guide How far to view TV or monitor based on screen size.
After seeing together the features that 4K projectors must have, below we can find the best models that we can buy on Amazon, certainly the best site for this type of purchase as it offers free returns in case of problems or simple afterthoughts.
A good projector to start without spending a fortune is theAcer V6810, which features DLP system, 4K resolution, 10,000: 1 contrast, 2,200 ANSI brightness, VGA / MHL / HDMI connections and HDR support.
We can view this projector here -> Acer V6810 (725 €).
One of the best 4K projectors for value for money is theOptoma UHD300X, which features DLP system, support for UHD 4K resolution, HDR compatibility, 2,200 ANSI brightness, 250,000: 1 contrast, HDMI 2.0 connection with HDCP 2.2, S / PDIF optical audio output and illuminated control remote control.
We can view this projector here -> Optoma UHD300X (1099 €).
Another quality 4K projector that we can focus on is the BenQ W1720, which boasts a DLP system, True 4K UHD resolution with HDR support, 2,000 ANSI brightness, CinemaMaster Video + and Audio + 2 technologies, 10,000: 1 contrast and HDMI ports.
We can view this projector here -> BenQ W1720 (1221 €).
If we are looking for a high-end product we can focus on the projector Epson EH-TW7000, which boasts a 3LCD projection system, support for 4K UHD resolution, HDR support, 3,000 ANSI brightness, 40,000: 1 contrast ratio, dual HDMI input, stereo mini jack output and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity.
We can view this projector here -> Epson EH-TW7000 (1281 €).
If we are lovers of great cinema, having a 4K projector in the house will be a real joy for the eyes, especially if we have a room with a very large wall to be exploited for the positioning of the white sheet and for positioning the projector (preferably hanging from the ceiling, so as to attenuate the noise emitted by the fan).
If we are looking for the best 4K content sources for our projector, we can refer to our guides All the ways to watch Netflix in 4K UHD is How to use 4K on Smart TV.
If instead we don’t know how to connect a home theater system, we can use the suggestions seen in our article How to connect TV speakers and audio systems to Smart TV.